August 03, 2023

Requiem for a friend

Marcus famous avatar
R.I.P. Marcus...
His real name was Marcus. He was from Belgium. In 2015, he created a rich music blog where he always posted excellent albums, often impossible to find elsewhere.
“Blues, Rock, Country & Bluegrass, Cajun & Zydeco, Soul…”, announced the header.
A real Ali BaBa's cave !

Seconded by his “brother” L., he managed his blog with strict ethical principles and a few simple rules destined to keep away vultures and bots : required registration, compulsory use of an avatar identity, password for each posted album communicated after a motivated request. And all he asked in return from the downloaders was their comments and exchanges about the albums they listened to in order to form a community. As many rules which didn't please all visiting looters (*).

A passionate music lover, he had become an audio rip wizard. His 320-bit rips sounded much better than the average MP3, and he had developed a super-Flac format of unrivaled sonic quality, a real treat for the ears he reserved to the most assiduous followers.

I became one of them, writing long reviews. Thanks to Marcus and L. I discovered new styles and new artists I didn't really know or neglected. Within a few months this gave me the idea to create Onurblues to publish these reviews in partnership with Marcus & L. blog. Meantime the three of us became closer and closer, especially after Marcus & L. proposed to me to communicate directly through Google chat. We got friends without ever meeting physically in “real life”. When Marcus & L. blog closed down, we continued communicating daily…

Marcus was found dead in his apartment two weeks ago most likely struck by a massive stroke or heart failure.

For those who didn't guess yet, Marcus was Blue Dragon's master Blue DeVille, formerly known as BB (Blues Beast), and L. is of course our friend Lou Cypher.

(*) He strongly suspected some of them to have reported his blog to the Infringement authorities which led to Google suddenly closing the blog a few months ago without notice ! Though he seldom admitted it openly, this affected him badly, and I'm sure it contributed to deteriorate his health. Those who reported the blog should know they might be partly responsible for Marcus death.


Bye Marcus...

Marcus aka Blue DeVille, 1959-2023

16 comments:

Lou Cypher said...

Marcus aka Blue DeVille was my dear friend. He really was like a brother to me and his passing is a major loss I'm having trouble dealing with. I only joined Blue Dragon out of friendship, and I will probably never participate in any other blog or create my own blog in the future. Blue Dragon was Marcus' baby, and he made it our adventure together when he invited me onboard. I can live without Blue Dragon, but life without Marcus is gonna be tougher now, and a lot sadder. Marcus, I'll never forget you.

Bill- Earwig Studio said...

I just heard the sad news from Lou yesterday. Marcus introduced me to so really fine music that was outside my usual radar. I will be ever grateful. Rest easy Blue deVille

Onurbix said...

I think a lot of Blue Dragon's followers are in the same case : thanks to Blue/Marcus and Lou, they explored new musical horizons like we did. It's a pity there's so few reactions to this very sad news...

Onurbix said...

I'm really disapointed to see that, apart from Lou of course, only one ex-Blue Dragon follower has writen a few words. In fact, disgusted is the right word to describe what I feel !

Bill - Earwig Studio said...

Hi Onurbix. Nobody else has bothered to write anything on this thread!! There must be so many people who had their musical horizons expanded because of Marcus' help and hard work. I'm pretty disgusted too.

Hugh T. said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Lou. My deepest condolences. I only discovered this blog minutes ago for the first time and saw this. (I guess I am searching for my new treasure trove like Blue Dragon was.)
I did not know much about either of you but I enjoyed our emails back and forth made me curious about who was on the other side. Thank you for the blog. I wish you peace.
Hugh T.

Hugh T. said...

I suspect many have not found this space yet and may not even have heard the news. I say that because I only stumbled on this site from a Spanish language blog this morning. It may take some time for folks to find it.

Onurbix said...

Hi Hugh T., thanks for your words. Maybe you discovered my blog through 01BluesLLegar II ?

Onurbix said...

I mean 101BluesLLegar II (https://101bluesllegaragain.blogspot.com/)

Luther Blues said...

Incredible and sad news about the unfortunate loss of a friend from the blogosphere such as Blue DeVille who contributed his material to spread it with the sole purpose of publicizing the music he liked.
In his blog together with his inseparable Lou Cypher and later with the owner of this blog Onur they have given great moments of friendship first and musical fraternity in the future.
A deep sadness invades me and I send Lou and Onur my most affectionate condolences for this disastrous event.
Dear and unforgettable Marcus, may the earth be light to you (as we say in these distances)

Onurbix said...

Thanks a lot for your fine words Luther. I (and Lou I'm certain) greatly appreciate them. Wish Marcus can read them too from where he is now. May you and I pass on the torch he and Lou lit years ago.

Anonymous said...

I do appreciate the kind wordsfrom everyone who took the time to post them here or that I received by email. It's been a month and a couple of days now since Marcus' passing, but I still get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I think about my lost brother from another mother.

Anonymous said...

Oops! What happened Google? Even though I'm logged in, I can't comment as Lou Cypher? I remember how these Google glitches used to piss off Marcus.

Onurbix said...

No problem Lou, we did recognize you. ;-))

Hugh T. said...

Yes that is the one! I am embarrassed how bad Spanish is having grown up in Southern California. But I do like a lot of Spanish language music even if I can only understand 1/4 of it.

Onurbix said...

Anyway Luther Blues who owns 101BluesLLegar II has nothing to do with California. He's from Argentina ! ;-)